Travelling is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. Travel helps you to gain new perspectives and meet new amazing people. This helps you to grow as a person as well, while travelling the world. While, it may seem difficult to make a career in travelling, but if you are passionate enough, you can definitely turn your passion into a profession while travelling.
Many people love to chunk down the thoughts they have while they are travelling. But not many of us are able to turn that writing into a profession. It is not as hard as it sounds. Being a travel writer is one of the most interesting jobs you can ever do while being on the road.
And while there are many who are doing it right currently, you need to know certain things before breaking into travel writing career. Also, you need to update your skills that are required for writing.
1) Read, read and read – The very first important thing that you need to do in order to start your travel writing career is read. Read a lot of books, new blogs, articles that are travel oriented. This helps you to gain a new perspective on the ongoing trends in the market as well as it helps you to discover new amazing people and their write ups. Thus, make it a habit of reading a lot, before breaking into travel writing.
2) Start local - You do not necessarily need to travel distances in order to write. You can always start out with your localities. There are a lot of things to write about only if you know where to look. Go out and try to visit different restaurants, cafes, alleys and places in your localities. Write short write ups about them and try to put them on social media. Thus, it is very important to travel your locality intensively to start with your travel writing.
3) Construct a portfolio – The next big step that you need to take is to start compiling the best of your work and make an online presence. The present age of technology works digitally more than on paper. Thus, it is very important to make your online presence strong with your work. Start uploading your articles online on social media as well as your personal blog. Defining your niche is very important. There are hundreds of people who are writing about their travel stories. You need to stand out in the crowd and present your best self to people.
4) Network with magazines and websites – Once you have a strong portfolio of write ups, you can start applying for freelance writing work at different travel companies and start-ups. As I said earlier, you need to stand out in the crowd to get really started into travel writing. There are numerous websites where you can easily start your freelance writing. Also, try to contact the travel magazines who are always in need of guest writers for their columns.
5) Guest Blogging – You can also do some guest blogging on different websites that pay well for the write ups. Websites like tripoto or iwriter can easily help you start off with your travel writing easily. Once you are good at it, you can start collaborating with different writers to gain more followers and opportunities.
6) Blogging and Collaborations – This is one of the best steps to get fully into travel writing. Once you gain enough number of followers on your personal blog, you can opt for collaborations with different writers and magazines in order to reach out to maximum number of people. You need to keep your blog always updated with the new and crisp stuff to keep people coming back for reading your stories.
Thus, making a career in travel writing is not as difficult as it sounds. With a few months of reading different write ups and writing small articles will eventually get you to be a successful travel writer one day.
We have helped number of People like You! We help to find out what career options fit your interest.
We help to find out right courses to build your future.